Sunday, January 11, 2009

My first bottle-BV Cabernet Sauvignon

On our vacation I tried and enjoyed a Cabernet Sauvignon. Red wines aren't typically what I choose to enjoy, however after drinking and talking with a Red Wine drinker, I've decided to venture out and take a stab at drinking them. From the advise of the fellow Costa Rica vacationer, I'm going to test out a different brand of Cabernet here and there and keep track of which ones I do and don't like. Apparently, BevMo has a 5 cent sale a few times a year where you buy a bottle and get the second for 5 cents. That is when she told me to go and stock up on the ones I've come to like. So this blog will serve as my memory of the wines I have tasted, my wine journal.

I was at Costco last night and bought a Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon 2006, by Beaulieu Vineyard's (BV), Signet Collection for $7.99.

I came home and tried it and it was good. This is my first one, so maybe I'll reflect differently on it as I try others... My first impression was, earthy; it definitely left an earthy flavor in my mouth that became less distinct as I finished the glass. I don't know if it was a no no to be eating shrimp with this, but I noticed a different taste after I began eating; I do know that wine tastes differently, and should be paired, with certain foods (I just don't know what those combinations are yet).

To be continued... my next tasting will be a bottle made by Cameron Hughes, Lot 95; Valle Central, Chile. 2007 Meritage; 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 15% Carmenere. A man at Costco pointed this bottle out as a great table wine (whatever that is...lol) and they were almost sold out of it. I'm taking any recommendations I can get at this point. I never even knew that there are blends of wines out there. So much to something that you think might be a simple thing...wine!

No comments: